Number of Hours: Full-time
Location: Calumet, MI
As a member of the accounting and finance team, the Accountant will perform various accounting duties including, but not limited to, preparing financial statements and reports, account reconciliations, general ledger maintenance, journal entries, audit work papers, payroll and tax accounting, and fixed asset schedules, and will support the Controller and CFO with cost reports and budget preparation.
- Develop and maintain strong professional relationship with accounting and finance team and other health center staff.
- Communicate effectively and professionally with both internal and external constituents.
- Comply with federal and state law and regulation at all times.
- Perform regular account reconciliations and general ledger maintenance.
- Prepare audit work papers, financial statements and reports, and fixed asset schedules.
- Review general ledger and financial statements for accuracy.
- Maintain accurate and complete financial records including journal entries and supporting documentation related to generating financial statements.
- Manage payroll and tax accounting and reporting, including but not limited to remittance of bi-weekly tax deposits, and quarterly and annual Form 941 processing.
- Recommend and implement accounting and payroll controls, including ongoing audits, to reduce errors, ensure proper accounting standards are maintained, and contribute to ongoing financial stability.
- Assist Controller and CFO with both complex and routine financial support activities, including but not limited to annual UDS reporting, year-end audit, budgets, and cost reports.
- Enhance professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, organizational communique, in-service meetings, and professional conferences.
- Attend and participates in meetings and in-services as required and/or assigned.
- Maintain knowledge of established organizational policies and procedures, objectives, performance improvement program, safety, environment of care, management of information, and other standards.
- Supports the UGLFHC mission by “providing exceptional health care services for all people in the Upper Great Lakes region regardless of their ability to pay”.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Training, Licensing and Credentialing
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field.
- Continued education or professional certification in accounting, payroll, healthcare administration, or related field or specialty
Experience and Skills
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office applications
- Demonstrated organizational and communication skills
- Prior accounting work experience at a not-for-profit, 501(c) organization.
- Prior accounting experience in the management of grant funded programs.
- Prior work experience managing or processing payroll.
- Prior healthcare accounting experience.
- Experience using Abila or MIP accounting system, a plus.
Physical Demands, Working Conditions and Travel Requirements
- Regular sitting for prolonged periods of time
- Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds
- Requires continuous performance of detailed tasks, interruptions, and changing work priorities.
- Occasionally subject to long, irregular hours.
- Repetitive motion from performing daily tasks including manual dexterity particularly related to computer usage
- Visual abilities including depth perception, ocular focus, close vision, color vision
- Adequate hearing and visual acuity to perform daily work
- Ability to adjust physically and emotionally to a fast-paced work environment
- Occasional regional or national travel for meetings and continuing education requirements
- Occasional exposure to infections and contagious diseases in clinic environment
- Environment may contain housekeeping/cleaning agents/chemicals, hazards from electrical/mechanical/power equipment, and biohazards and/or radioactive substances
The above information is intended to describe the most important aspects of the job. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required in order to perform the work. UGLFHC reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the business need arises. Additionally, this job description is not intended as an employment contract, implied or otherwise, and UGLFHC continues to maintain its status as an at-will employer.
If the essential functions of this position cannot be performed in a satisfactory manner by the employee, reasonable accommodations may be made