Community Health Worker
Number: PEDS-Care Mgmt-910-01
Number of Hours: Full-time
Location: Hancock, MI
Under the supervision of the Quality Manager, and in collaboration with the quality team and the care team, the Community Health Worker will assist with identifying patients from all service areas including medical, behavioral health and dental, who have barriers to care and/or health literacy issues and connecting these patients to community resources. The Community Health Worker will utilize motivational interviewing to promote patient self-management skills.
Education, Training, Licensing and Credentialing
Minimum Education, Experience & Skills:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Experience or training in health care field
- Computer skills including Microsoft suite including Excel and prior electronic health record experience.
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Experience and ability to maintain confidentiality under HIPAA standards.
- The ability to exercise a high degree of diplomacy and tact; excellent customer services and interpersonal communication skills; Cultural sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work with diverse individuals and groups.
- Organizational and administrative skills with meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Possesses flexibility and willingness to handle a variety of tasks.
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Knowledge and work experience in quality/process improvement.
- Computer skills including data reporting tools and data management systems.
- Knowledge in Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) standards of practice, legal and ethical codes and regulations applicable to FQHCs.
- Knowledge of PCMH model of care.
Physical Demands, Working Conditions and Travel Requirements
- Sedentary work in an office setting
- Ability to communicate verbally and respond effectively
- Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling and crouching
- Requires visual acuity to perform required tasks
- May be exposed to the risk of blood borne diseases
- May be exposed to infections and contagious diseases
- May be exposed to housekeeping/cleaning agents/chemicals
- Contact with patients under wide variety of circumstances
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations
- Occasional pressure due to multiple tasks, calls and inquiries
- Ability to accept travel assignments as required to perform duties.