Population Health Nurse (RN/LPN)
FTE – Full-time
Location: Gwinn, MI
The Population Health Nurse will assist with clinical quality improvement and population health of all service areas including medical, behavioral health and dental.
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES AND COMPENTENCIES:
Assists with Clinical Quality Improvement and Population Health Initiatives
- Pulls reports as directed from Electronic Health Record (EHR) or other clinical patient information registry to identify patient gaps in care
- Navigates through the EHR to verify the patient gaps in care or identify documentation to satisfy patient gaps in care
- Documents in the EHR or other clinical patient information registry appropriately to satisfy patient gaps in care
- Utilizes professional communication and telephone skills to contact patients with gaps in care to schedule appointment with appropriate primary care provider or specialty care provider and/or utilize standing orders
- Utilizes motivational interviewing and provides patient education as needed
- Completes required documentation to track progress through PDSA (plan-do-study-act) cycles as related to quality work plan measures
- Prepares monthly reports on quality work plan measures as directed
- Coordinates large scale outreach efforts through the EHR regarding a relevant clinical quality measure
- Assists clinic nursing staff with following up on outstanding tests and referrals
- Maintains established organizational policies and procedures, objectives, performance improvement program, safety, environment of care, management of information, and infection control standards.
- Complies with federal and state law, regulations, accrediting and licensing agencies at all times.
- Provides patient support and assures the provision of emotions and physical care of patients of all ages, including: promoting positive relationships between patients, staff, families and visitors; assessment of the effects of cultural, social, economic, and religious influence of patients.
- Works cooperatively with providers and personnel to carry out the goals and objectives of the UGLFHC.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationship with appropriate personnel and agencies.
- Performs safe emergency techniques according to clinic/department policies/procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Education, Training, Licensing and Credentialing
- Registered Nurse (RN) OR Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) with active state of Michigan license
Experience and Skills
- Computer skills including Microsoft suite including Excel and prior electronic health record experience.
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Experience and ability to maintain confidentiality under HIPAA standards.
- The ability to exercise a high degree of diplomacy and tact; excellent customer services and interpersonal communication skills; Cultural sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work with diverse individuals and groups.
- Organizational and administrative skills with meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Possesses flexibility and willingness to handle a variety of tasks.
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Knowledge and work experience in quality/process improvement.
- Computer skills including data reporting tools and data management systems.
- Knowledge of Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) standards of practice, legal and ethical codes and regulations applicable to FQHCs.
- Knowledge of PCMH model of care.
- Clinical experience in an outpatient setting, preferably in an FQHC.
Physical Demands, Working Conditions and Travel Requirements
- Sedentary work in an office setting
- Ability to communicate verbally and respond effectively
- Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling and crouching
- Requires visual acuity to perform required tasks
- May be exposed to the risk of blood borne diseases
- May be exposed to infections and contagious diseases
- May be exposed to housekeeping/cleaning agents/chemicals
- Contact with patients under wide variety of circumstances
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations
- Occasional pressure due to multiple tasks, calls and inquiries
- Ability to accept travel assignments as required to perform duties.