Job Number: HAFP-BHS-301-01
Number of Hours: Full-time
Location: Hancock, MI
The Staff Psychiatrist is responsible for delivery of quality mental health care to patients of the Center and functions as a member of the multi-disciplinary health care team within the scope of his or her mental health practice.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides clinical services.
- Maintains clinical expertise and competency (to include age specific competency) as well as demonstrates thorough knowledge of procedures to deliver quality mental health care.
- Provides clinic sessions, as scheduled, in direct patient care at clinic site, including extended hours clinics.
- Provides a minimum of two thousand, eight hundred, eighty (2880) medical encounters for the contract year and provides services equaling to at least forty (40) hours of billable WRVU activity per week in clinic.
- Examines, diagnoses, treats and/or refers patients assigned to physician’s panel, on an in-patient and out-patient basis (as per individual employment agreements); prescribes pharmaceuticals, other medications, and treatment regimens as appropriate to assessed medical conditions.
- Refers clients for appropriate specialty care services, laboratory or diagnostic testing and any other ancillary services that are appropriate for patient’s management and care. Reviews all laboratory or diagnostic reports for patients under his/her care on a timely basis and makes medical management decisions appropriately. Follows appropriate standards of care for each patient.
- Provides continuity of care to center patients on his or her patient panel and other patients as assigned, including routine in-patient, outreach services, home-visits and nursing home / foster home care to center patients as needed. Participates in after-hours phone coverage for UGLFHC patients if needed.
- Maintains a problem oriented health record for each patient seen in accordance with the Center’s established Health Information Management policies and procedures.
- Ensures that patient and family/significant others are educated about diagnosis and the plan of care. Acts as a resource for facilitating communication when necessary.
- Participates in specified health promotion, education and/or prevention programs as needed i.e. collaborative/health fairs etc.; attends and participates in clinic meetings / departmental meetings and other clinic functions as required by the Center.
- Works cooperatively with other providers in a coordinated manner to cover each other’s patients.
- Maintains the confidentiality of the provider/patient relationship in accordance with applicable laws and professional standards.
- Provides clinical oversight under the supervision of the Medical Director.
- Assumes responsibility/accountability for delegating, directing, and supervising patient care activities. Trains, mentors and supervises students and clinical support staff engaged in activities and procedures, as appropriate.
- Participates in the analysis of community health problems and assists in the development of the community health care plan.
- Participates in Compliance and Performance Improvement activities for continuous care quality improvement and risk management purposes.
- Participates in the review and development of patient care policies, including health maintenance schedules and continuity of care.
- Participates in the review and development of protocols and standing orders.
- Implements the plans, procedures and protocols for the medical team.
- Serves as a resource and positive, proactive leader for the department.
- Accepts responsibility for remaining current with medical and health care trends and information that impact the medical practice.
- Leads the health care team in identifying, evaluating, and prioritizing patient and family needs to develop a plan of care.
- Participates in the evaluation of products, procedures, and patient care standards.
- Maintains professional courtesy at all times.
- Maintains excellent customer service to patients, their families, fellow staff members, medical staff, medical guests and external partners.
- Completes medical records on a timely basis, per policy.
- Attends and participates in meetings and in-services as required and/or assigned.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of advanced principles of health promotion, prevention and motivation.
- Knowledge of protocols in general and an ability to quickly gain specific knowledge of the Center’s current operational protocols
- Knowledge of medical terminology and appropriate abbreviations
- Ability to document, with clarity, all information relevant to a patient’s needs
- Ability to effectively present information in small group situations to patients, Center staff, and the general public
- Ability to use office equipment including but not limited to computers, fax machines, telephones and copiersand copiers
Credentials and Experience
- Medical degree and completion of psychiatry residency
- Current unrestricted license from the Michigan Licensing Board to practice as a physician in the State of Michigan
- Annual continuing medical education as required by Board specialty
- Must be registered and have current DEA and other such certificates to legally operate a practitioner in the State of Michigan
- Hospital privileges at designated area hospitals if required for specialty
- Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) for Healthcare Professionals Certification
- Board Certification or if Board Eligible, an active candidate for board certification within two years of employment in physicians specialty.