MTU Student Health Services
Michigan Technological University students have immediate access to health care services at Upper Great Lakes Houghton Family Health Center. UGL and UP Health System – Portage have partnered to provide Michigan Tech’s student health services which include a complete spectrum of primary care services, physical therapy, pharmacy, labs, x-ray, and sports medicine services. Upper Great Lakes Houghton Family Health Center is attached to the Student Development Complex on MTU’s campus and can be reached by calling 906-483-1860.
Scheduling a Visit
- Walk-in Visits: UGL offers walk-in appointments Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Common urgent conditions treated include:
- Bug bites
- Ear cleaning
- Ear pain/pressure
- Eye discharge
- Influenza testing
- Influenza vaccines
- Minor burn
- Minor bites
- Minor injury or wound
- Minor/mild skin infections
- Minor strains and sprains
- Minor wound care
- Pregnancy test
- Runny nose/sinus
- Seasonal allergies
- Sore throat
- Strep throat testing
- Suture/staple removal
- Tetanus vaccines
- Tick bites
- Urinary tract infection/Bladder infection
- Online Scheduling: UGL now offers online scheduling for MTU students! Click here or use the widget below to view availability and schedule an in-person appointment.
- Please call us at 906-483-1860 to schedule a telehealth/phone appointment.
Note: This form should not be used in emergent situations or when a time-sensitive issue needs to be addressed. For these needs, please call your local UGLFHC office directly, or in the event of an emergency, dial 9-1-1.
- Alternate Scheduling: Appointments may be made by calling us at 906-483-1860.
Hours and Services
- Clinic Hours: Appointments can be made Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- After-Hours Needs: For established patients, please call 906-483-1000 for after-hours, non-emergency concerns.
- Sports Injuries: Walk-in hours for sports injuries are available every Monday from 4:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. during the school year.
- Clinical Services: UGL provides integrated medical and behavioral health services through our on-site health care team consisting of family medicine providers, behavioral health coaches, nurses, and care management staff.
- Labs and X-rays: Available on-site through UP Health System – Portage, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Telehealth: UGL offers telehealth visits as a convenience to students. UGL may recommend or require a telehealth appointment for services if you currently have certain symptoms.
- Dental Services: Dental services are available at Upper Great Lakes Calumet Family Health Center. Talk to your provider to be connected to a dentist.
- Sliding Fee Program: Reduced fees are available through our Sliding Fee Program for qualifying individuals. Speak to a member of our team to be connected to a Financial Counselor or click here for more information.
What to Expect at Your Visit
- Before your visit:
- You will receive a reminder of your upcoming appointment on the phone number listed on your profile.
- Be prepared to bring your insurance cards and all medications you are currently taking to your office visit.
- During your visit:
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to you scheduled appointment time.
- Let a member of our staff know if you need special assistance (translator, transportation, etc.)
- Sign up for our patient portal! You can review your diagnostic results, communicate with our practice, review you visit summary, and much more. If you are an existing patient, you can sign up yourself here.
- After your visit:
- Please schedule your recommended follow-up appointment.
- Be sure to get any labs or imaging completed and pick up any prescribed medications.